Connecticut CAP has long history of service
The Connecticut Wing’s roots in Civil Air Patrol run deep, with members heavily involved in coastal patrol and antisubmarine missions along the state’s section of the Atlantic Coast during World War II. Wing aircrews also flew recovery operations to rescue American pilots who had lost their aircraft domestically. One of the Sikorsky S-39 Flying Boats used for recovery operations is now on display at the New England Air Museum, located at the Bradley International Airport in Windsor Locks.
One of the wing’s earliest pilots, Nancy Hopkins Tier, signed on with CAP in 1942. She served as executive officer of her squadron and flew as a spotter looking for German U-boats. In 1947, she was appointed the wing’s fourth commander, making her the first woman to hold the position of wing commander in CAP.
Along with missions for the U.S. Air Force, the wing performs is the Long Island Sound Patrol (LISP) program, flying patrol missions across Long Island Sound during the summer months in coordination with the U.S. Coast Guard to provide more immediate assistance to vessels in distress. The wing was credited with numerous finds and saves in the year following its inception in the summer of 2007.
More than 100 wing members participated in CAP’s response to Hurricane Sandy in 2012. From Oct. 30-Nov. 4 they assisted state agencies by providing aerial photography of the affected coastal areas as well as assisting with shelters in Waterbury, Danbury and New Fairfield.